Monday, April 7, 2014

The Story Behind the Swallows

At my first craft show this weekend, people continuously told me how much they love my logo. Of course, I rolled up my sleeve and tell them it was designed after my tattoo after every compliment. They proceed to ask what my story is with my swallows, but I never tell the truth. I'm about to get deep here, so be prepared.

Several years ago, I was cutting very regularly. I had a nasty scar that I was so self-conscious about. The only way I could figure to cover my scar and finally be finished with self-harm was to get a beautiful tattoo. When I was 18 and finally out on my own, I set out for the tattoo to change my life. Let's be honest here, who doesn't do something a little rebellious their first year of college? 

Little did I know, my swallows were in for a LONG journey. First of all, I had no idea what I was doing when it came to choosing design and color, let alone an artist and shop. Here's the very first "session":

boooooooo :(

I though this was the coolest thing I've ever done until I kept staring at it. I could clearly still see the scar I was trying to cover and this wasn't good enough for me. Round two:

still boooooo :(

This was better at covering my scar, but was done so terribly (now that I have other tattoos I realize this). You can see the scarring that is happening after this color. After this healed, there was even a part in the center that wasn't colored deep enough that came off during scabbing. 

I was ashamed of this tattoo which was supposed to be a symbol of healing. I found a new artist to fix it up right just before my wedding so I wouldn't have to look at this forever in pictures. 

YAY!!!

From blotchy and uneven to BEAUTIFUL, my swallows' journey is complete. Although my original bird did it's job keeping me from self-harm, now my babies are gorgeous. I absolutely will never cut again because I don't want to mess these beauties up! These will always be a part of me, as will my brand. I'm so thankful I have restored my tattoo to it's full potential. If you're in the market for a great piece, look up my man Josh Kendrick at Envy Skin Gallery.


Wedding Day







No comments:

Post a Comment